#1 Post by rebirther » 10.09.2007, 13:55

rebirther
Admin

#2 Post by rebirther » 11.07.2008, 09:43

Enigma soll am 6. Oktober zurück sein.

rebirther
Admin

#3 Post by rebirther » 20.04.2011, 19:35

Enigma hat aufgrund Geldmangels einen Server abgeschaltet, sollte sich niemand finden, der das Projekt aufgrund der Kosten weiterführt, ist es dann Geschichte.

rebirther
Admin

#4 Post by rebirther » 28.04.2011, 15:26

The server is back up after it's longest outage. Unfortunately I had no money to pay the hosting bills so after a while my account got disabled and the server became unreachable. I also had hardware problems with the local part of the server, as a result minor part of the database was recovered after critical failure, it's not yet entirely fixed so most probably validator will mark some of the results as invalid. Since it's already late night here, I'll fix that tomorrow, together with the WUs marked as timeouts. It's also possible that I'll be changing the server location, I'll post more info tomorrow.

odicin

#5 Post by odicin » 22.12.2011, 05:57

2011-12-21: Enigma@Home - Enigma badges
Few months ago one of the participants proposed a set of graphical badges for the project, since then a couple of designs (which can be viewed here: http://www.boincatpoland.org/smf/enigma ... nigmahome/) were made by BOINC@Poland members. I'm going to implement the badges before the end of this year (or early 2012 in the worst case), next week I'll make a poll which will decide which one of the sets will be used, so there is still some time if anyone else would like to submit another set of icons. Also I'd be glad to hear opinions on the amount of credits needed for badges, considering the fact that (at least for now) it's a project with with just one app.

odicin

#6 Post by odicin » 20.04.2017, 08:58

Hat eigentlich schon mal jemand die optimierten AVX Apps ausprobiert?

https://github.com/Agbar/enigma-optima/releases/

Gruß Odi

DoctorNow

#7 Post by DoctorNow » 20.04.2017, 12:35

odicin wrote:Hat eigentlich schon mal jemand die optimierten AVX Apps ausprobiert?
Wußte gar nicht, daß es die überhaupt gibt... :D
Leider derzeit sowieso nicht testbar, es gibt keine WUs und es wird wohl auch so schnell keine neuen geben:
19 Apr 2017, 23:04:21 UTC The reason why work generator is stopped
I have stopped the work generator because IMO it does not make sense to continue the batch that runs with the original ("naval") dictionary set, where upgraded dictionary sets have already failed with similar number of target restarts.

IMO it's better to try with another dictionary set and tweaked app.
Both cases, however, require major upgrades on the server side - for performance reasons, I have removed some of the functionalities it originally had and now I have to add them back. It's going to take 2-4 weeks because my job leaves me very little spare time. I'm also going to clean the database from any leftovers, there are still over 20k workunits in the db, probably most of them are broken WUs that accumulated over time (at some point there was a sudden failure of SSD drive where the database filesystem is located, it was replaced by RAID5 setup with the data restored from backup, but ~4500 workunits/results ended in messed up state). I'll wait a few days and then all the orphaned workunits / results will be removed.

Also, all future (larger) batches will be split into a group of smaller sub-batches. While the batch is running, the server requires access to all the results that were returned and if the database gets to big, performance suffers. It also makes creating 'offline' backups harder due to the amount of data in the db dump.

In a few days I'll post downloadable results from the previous batches in case anyone wants to take a look.
Life is Science, and Science rules. To the universe and beyond
Member of BOINC@Heidelberg + BOINC Confederation
My BOINC-Stats / My Badges-List

DoctorNow

#8 Post by DoctorNow » 10.05.2017, 16:36

odicin wrote:Hat eigentlich schon mal jemand die optimierten AVX Apps ausprobiert?

https://github.com/Agbar/enigma-optima/releases/
Nachdem es jetzt wieder WUtzen zu reißen gibt, wollte ich diese App mal ausprobieren - leider entpackt er mir das 7z-Archiv nicht und behauptet, die Komprimiermethode wird nicht unterstützt - und das obwohl mein 7-zip aktuell ist. Sehr merkwürdig...
Falls es jemandem von euch gelungen ist, wäre es sehr nett, wenn er mir die App mal zukommen lassen könnte.
Andernfalls warte ich einfach, bis die neue App Enigma AV per Einstellungen verfügbar ist - laut Forum soll das anscheinend auch eine optimierte Version sein, wenn es nicht sogar diese o.g. ist.

Buckey

#9 Post by Buckey » 10.05.2017, 19:11

hier die Links zu den entpackten Enigma-Apps:

Linux
http://buckey.de/enigma-1.0.1-linux/

Windows x86
http://buckey.de/enigma-1.0.1-win.x86/

Windows x64
http://buckey.de/enigma-1.0.1-win.x64/

Ich habe das mal hier gepostet, weil ich mir nicht sicher bin ob ich hier im Forum in der Download-Sektion einen Fred erstellen darf und kann.

DoctorNow

#10 Post by DoctorNow » 10.05.2017, 19:28

Danke, rebirther hatte mir auch schon einen Download-Link zukommen lassen. ;-)
Die App läuft super und deutlich schneller.
Buckey wrote: ob ich hier im Forum in der Download-Sektion einen Fred erstellen darf und kann.
Dürfen wohl nur Moderatoren und Admins hier. ;-)

rebirther
Admin

#11 Post by rebirther » 10.05.2017, 19:33

DoctorNow wrote:Danke, rebirther hatte mir auch schon einen Download-Link zukommen lassen. ;-)
Die App läuft super und deutlich schneller.
Buckey wrote: ob ich hier im Forum in der Download-Sektion einen Fred erstellen darf und kann.
Dürfen wohl nur Moderatoren und Admins hier. ;-)
Versucht mal ob ihr eine App im download-Bereich draufladen könnt, wenn nicht, schaue ich mal in den Einstellungen nach.

Buckey

#12 Post by Buckey » 10.05.2017, 19:39

Ich habe leider keine Möglichkeit gefunden wie man was hochladen kann. Aber vielleicht kannst Du (rebirther) das ja erstellen und einpflegen.

DoctorNow

#13 Post by DoctorNow » 10.05.2017, 20:46

rebirther wrote:Versucht mal ob ihr eine App im download-Bereich draufladen könnt, wenn nicht, schaue ich mal in den Einstellungen nach.
Wie das gehen soll, erschließt sich mir auch nicht, es gibt ja nirgends einen Button zum Upload o.Ä. Ganz davon abgesehen, daß man das mit den Guides in dieser Untersektion aus meiner Sicht zusammenfassen könnte, weil da schon optimierte Apps von Projekten erwähnt werden. Nur ein Vorschlag.

DoctorNow

#14 Post by DoctorNow » 26.05.2017, 20:26

Mittlerweile hat sich das mit der optimierten App eigentlich erledigt, die neue Enigma AV-App ist mindestens genauso schnell, wenn nicht sogar schneller.

Desweiteren wird es übers Wochenende ein Serverupgrade geben, um neue Funktionen einzuführen:
25 May 2017, 21:37:06 UTC Scheduled upgrades
The server requires BOINC server code upgrade to support GPU app,
Per-app credits, application selection and a couple of other things.

I have scheduled the upgrade for this weekend, the server will be stopped on saturday, in worst case it might even go completely offline for a couple of hours.

DoctorNow

#15 Post by DoctorNow » 26.06.2017, 20:19

Jetzt gibt es auch eine GPU-App für NVidia, allerdings sind die WUtzen dazu noch rar gesät. Sie ist noch im Beta-Status und das Testen (nur möglich, wenn man die Option dafür in den Präferenzen anwählt) erfolgt daher auf "eigene Gefahr":
26 Jun 2017, 18:22:48 UTC GPU app
As some of you may have already noticed, there is a GPU version of Enigma software available for testing. It requires nvidia GPU, and probably will run on anything that supports CUDA, I have tested it myself on a couple of low end cards and it ran just fine, except that the system was lagging and WU runtime was very long.

Until yesterday it required app_info to run, this was changed and currently it will be sent to any host that has 'beta work' allowed in preferences. I have reset the beta flag to off for everyone.

The app is marked as "beta" because there are still some issues both on the client and server side. Also, currently the GPU app runs via wrapper and that causes some issues, for example, this page says that interrupting GPU app while it is running the kerney may cause system crash. This is worst case scenario and so far I haven't seen it myself, but I assume it's possible.

Other than that, if left untouched, the app runs smoothly. At this moment it'll only run on CUDA device #0.

Progress bar does not work with the current version of the wrapper, but it's not a high priority thing at this moment, as tasks are relativery short: from ~20 minutes on GTX1050 to around 3m30s on 1080Ti. The app uses internal checkpoints and will automatically resume from the last checkpoint if restarted.

odicin

#16 Post by odicin » 02.07.2017, 12:36

Bei mir laufen die GPU-Tasks bislang nur an einer Kiste mit einer GTX 960 ordentlich durch. Bei meinen anderen Rechnern mit GT430, GTX560 und GTX660 erhalte ich immer:

(unknown error) - exit code 195 (0xc3)

Gruß Odi

DoctorNow

#17 Post by DoctorNow » 02.07.2017, 15:22

Hier in diesem Thread melden das auch einige, genaue Ursache scheint aber noch nicht geklärt. Eben noch Beta. ;-)
Ich bezweifle ehrlich gesagt, daß die CUDA-App auf niedrigeren Karten als einer GTX960 noch annehmbar lauffähig ist, ich habe auch eine 960er, aber während die App läuft, kann ich nicht vernünftig arbeiten, das System laggt dadurch schon etwas. Ich lasse das deshalb immer nachts laufen oder wenn ich nicht am Rechner bin.
Leider ist mein 2. Rechner mit der GTX760 immer noch "in Reparatur", sonst wüßte ich das bereits genau. ;-)

Buckey

#18 Post by Buckey » 02.07.2017, 17:42

Bei mir auf der GTX 750ti läuft die App zwar, aber ich muss dennoch einen Kern freihalten, da ich sonst meine Maus nicht bewegen kann ;-)

DoctorNow

#19 Post by DoctorNow » 08.07.2017, 12:54

Eine neue GPU-App-Version wurde veröffentlicht mit ein paar Änderungen. Alle Grafikkarten ab Fermi-Klasse wie u.g. sollten laufen, das VS15 C++ Redistributable Package wird vorausgesetzt.
8 Jul 2017, 11:19:50 UTC Enigma Cuda 1.07
CUDA app version changed to 1.07 for both Windows x86 and x86_64.
I have removed the plan_classes "cuda" and "cuda23" because the app required compute capability 2.1+ cards & I haven't seen even a single task completed with success on "cuda23" plan_class.

The new version was recompiled to allow compute capability 2.0 cards:
GeForce GTX 590, GeForce GTX 580, GeForce GTX 570, GeForce GTX 480, GeForce GTX 470, GeForce GTX 465, GeForce GTX 480M (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA)
so in theory anything from Fermi up should work.

The CUDA app requires Visual Studio 2015 c++ redistributable package installed to run.

DoctorNow

#20 Post by DoctorNow » 14.07.2017, 12:45

Eine weitere Anwendung für Tests aller Art könnte übers kommende Wochenende an den Start gehen:
12 Jul 2017, 13:37:38 UTC New app: "Enigma Test", OpenCL and Linux tests
I'm going to add a new application which will be used to test new app versions and platforms/plan classes.

It will run it's own mini batches of test work and once the tests are done and finished with success, the test app / app version / platform will be reassigned to standard workunits.

Test app will have it's own checkbox in project preferences and it will be reset to off for everyone on each app version change.

First app versions that will be tested soon are:
- OpenCL/ATI version of GPU app.
- Linux version of CUDA app.

I'm not sure when it will be released but my early estimate is somewhere around end of this week.