Eternity2.net - beendet

Beendet
rebirther
Admin

Eternity2.net - beendet

#1 Post by rebirther » 19.07.2007, 17:43

http://eternity2.net/index.php
The first Eternity puzzle was sold widely throughout Britain, Europe and Australasia. See the Wiki or refer to the excellent mathpuzzle site. It was solved by a pair of Cambridge mathematicians. You can read about their solution here. They won 1,000,000 British pounds. (about US$1,900,000) See the official EternityII website for details of this new puzzle. There really is US$2,000,000 up for grabs this time around!
Last edited by rebirther on 12.01.2008, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

rebirther
Admin

#2 Post by rebirther » 08.12.2007, 21:02

Eternity2.net - Newsletter 2, 9 December 2007

Thanks to all the contributors to the Eternity2.net project!

Collectively we have over 1.6 TeraFlops of processing power working on the puzzle, and have performed over 10^19 CPU operations!

The highest scores achieved by eternity2.net users are in the mid 460ish range. (/480)
(although we don't discuss/publish the details anymore in case this leads to an entry being disqualified)

The big news is that I have decided to stop maintaining the eternity2.net project.
There are several reasons - eg
1) Takes a bit of time
2) Takes a bit of money
3) Expected monetary return is estimated to be $0.000000000001 (insert your own estimate here...)
(although the possible $10,000 for highest score probably raises the expected return into the few hundreds of dollar range)
4) Xmas is coming and I want to forget about computing for a while :)
5) The main reason I created the site wasn't to solve the puzzle via a brute force backtracker. This was always clearly going to be impossible.
My main goal was to become the world expert on the puzzle, and to be the main point of contact for anyone who had a good, novel idea
for solving the puzzle. This goal has largely been achieved. Thanks to all the people who have corresponded with me, and shared their ideas.
None of these ideas has proved to be sufficient to solve the puzzle, but I've learnt a lot about a whole range of interesting things :)
6) I was determined that if anyone was going to solve the puzzle, it would be me. It appears likely now that the solution will never be found.

I'll probably leave the site running for a few days yet, and open source the code.

If anyone is desperately keen to take over the eternity2.net site (and is a programmer, and knows how to run a BOINC web site), then let me know. The entire setup of the site is contained in a single (linux) VMWare image which I've
been running on a simple Windows XP box on my home computer.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Dave Clark
eternity2.net
So wie es jetzt aussieht, gibt es keine Möglichkeit eine Lösung des Puzzles zu finden. Das Projekt wird noch ein paar Tage laufen, danach wird der Quellcode veröffentlicht. Das Projekt wird wohl dann beendet werden.

rebirther
Admin

#3 Post by rebirther » 08.07.2017, 11:36

Es gibt Sourcecode für opencl, da es mehrere Lösungen geben soll, besteht die Möglichkeit, das Puzzle doch zu lösen, nichts scheint unmöglich, ebenso existiert auch das txt file (der jweiligen Puzzleteile). Im Gegensatz zu früher sind natürlich die Berechnungen um Faktor x schneller als auf den damiligen CPUs.

Was man natürlich noch bräuchte:
- Boincserver
- kompilieren des codes für sämtliche OS
- Konzept zur Auswertung der Daten (automatisches Auslesen der Results)
- automatisches Generieren der WUs (Script)

Falls jemand Interesse haben sollte oder andere Ideen hat, einfach hier posten.

DoctorNow

#4 Post by DoctorNow » 08.07.2017, 12:51

Nanu, wo hast du das denn her? Und wo soll der Quellcode sein?
Ich bekomme nur eine leere Seite, wenn ich die URL für Eternity2 aufrufen will... :thinking:
Life is Science, and Science rules. To the universe and beyond
Member of BOINC@Heidelberg + BOINC Confederation
My BOINC-Stats / My Badges-List

rebirther
Admin

#5 Post by rebirther » 08.07.2017, 14:19

DoctorNow wrote:Nanu, wo hast du das denn her? Und wo soll der Quellcode sein?
Ich bekomme nur eine leere Seite, wenn ich die URL für Eternity2 aufrufen will... :thinking:
Naja, die alte Seite gibt es ja nicht mehr. Hier noch der link, den ich damals gefunden hatte:

link

Den code kann man für CPUs und GPUs kompilieren.

rebirther
Admin

#6 Post by rebirther » 22.10.2017, 14:34

Ich greife nochmal das Thema auf, hatte mir vor kurzem das Puzzle gekauft, zum Berechnen braucht man wohl 2 txt-Dateien, wobei eine die Teile enthält. Was ich noch suche ist:

- Kompilierung der app (GPU), link ist weiter oben im Thread
- command line, falls es eine gibt

Fall ihr mehr infos habt einfach hier posten.